Re: Q: No max/ minMax length of anything?

Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com> wrote:
> Sharon Chisholm wrote:
>
> >hi
> >
> >I'm looking to do some boundary testing against Netconf and it seems
> >there isn't any guidance on the length of anything. Is this right? I
> >know we have discussed this in terms of total message length, but is it
> >also fair to say that the url one plugs into xmlns can be as long as you
> >like? Other data is what you feel like implementing as well?
> >
> >While I agree with the principle of not constraining the
> >implementations, I have suddenly realized it means more work for me with
> >this particular task.  If people have thoughts on what would be
> >considered 'best practice' for this, I'd love to hear.
> >

> We decided (and nobody objected) that the message-id attribute is
> maxLength="4095".
> Other than that, all data types are constrained AFAIK.  We don't control
> the URL limits.

There are a few which aren't constrained:

    confirm-timeout  is a positiveInteger (no upper bound)  (could e.g.
                          have been unsignedInt)
    error-app-tag  is a (unbounded) xs:string
    error-path  is a (unbounded) xs:string
    error-message  is a (unbounded) xs:string

Then there is the rule that any attribute in the <rpc> element must be
copied to the <rpc-reply>.

Apart from that there is normal XML-stuff; the url length you
mentioned, the number of xmlns attributes, length of element and
attribute names etc.  (A clever implementation can handle these
anyway).

/martin