RE: Notification architecture

hi

Couple points:

1. Notifications are not layered on the <rpc>, but rather a new wrapper
of <one-way-rpc> which is at the same Netconf layer as <rpc> but is
different. Therefore there should be no issues surrounding statistics
and I don't think the beep mapping is hindered by this wrapper.

2. I've had good success in using the existing Netconf layer model to
help people understand the different bits of Netconf. Your proposed
update solves one problem I had around the fact that drawn the wrong
way, it would imply that <notifications> ran over <rpc> or something
along those lines, but it now breaks the fact that there are layers.
This concept gets somewhat lost.

3. There are advantages to systems who want to process both synchronous
and asynchronous messages to be able to use the same method
	- process rpc
	- process message
By having two different architectures for these messages, things diverge
much more.

4. I don't understand the access control comment.

5. Layer compression for notifications limits future extensibility
options. What happens if some mythical day in the future we want to add
another type of asynchronous message, or want to do acknowledged events?
How does that work? Right now, I could conceive of running
<notification> over <rpc> <rpc-reply> as one method to do acknowledged
events, which becomes more difficult with what you are proposing. I
don't want to optimize the architecture for things that are out of scope
of this release and things which we may never ever get to, but I think
in general we should give some consideration to the implications on
extensibility that this compression might have.

Sharon