RE: [midcom] MIDCOM MIB design question

David,

--On 12.12.2003 12:24 Uhr -0500 Harrington, David wrote:

Hi JS,

-----Original Message-----
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:j.schoenwaelder@iu-bremen.de]

What puzzles me is the notion of the "MIDCOM protocol" in the context
of SNMP. ... So from this MIB perspective,
I fail to see why there is a certain MIBCOM protocol - there are just
MIDCOM MIB objects which allow you to achieve the services
described in > the MIDCOM semantics objects. Let me know if I am
completely on the
wrong track and I have to read the document (which one?).

Thank you for your comment.

I don't think you're on the wrong track. I agree strongly with you on
this and have been working to educate people on this viewpoint. Thank
you for also pointing this out.

The WG has selected SNMPv3 as the protocol (as the result of a
comparison of five existing IETF protocols), but most of the WG are not
very SNMP-savvy and have difficulty conceptualizing the solution in SNMP
terms.

Thank you for the compliment.

The point is that the SNMP community in turn is not very MIDCOM-savvy,
so it is not that easy to produce a standard that satisfies both parties.

Many people in the WG come from environments where they think in
terms of control protocols, and continue to conceptualize the problem in
terms of a "MIDCOM protocol" that happens to run over SNMP, rather than
thinking that SNMPv3 **is** the protocol.

Let's discuss this offline, maybe at the next IETF meeting. For now, we have an answer to our question and can prepare a first version of the MIDCOM MIB.

Sometimes this non-SNMPish view of the world makes it much harder to
design the MIDCOM MIB. The current discussion is partly due to thinking
of the solution in terms of a MIDCOM protocol distinct from SNMP.

Oh well.

Thank you for your patience. I am afraid we MIDCOM people will need more of it until the MIDCOM MIB is mature. I guess we are still welcome to ask ignorant questions ;-)

Thanks,

Juergen

dbh