Re: SNMP improvements

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 09:01:34PM -0400, Harrington, David wrote:

> The reason SMING and EOS were shut down is lack of volunteer effort -
> nobody was willing to do the work.

I do not really .subscribe to that view.

> The political environment in the IETF NM area has been pretty
> discouraging to people interested in SNMP. It has largely come down to
> if you are interested in SNMP your opinions are not welcome.

This is the important point. For me, it is a generation change problem.
The old SNMP guys still hold lots of political power and are not willing
to give at least some of it away to younger people to drive SNMP into
the future and at the same time do not have the energy or interests to
drive SNMP themself. So the solution is either to let SNMP rest in peace
by doing something else or to do urgently needed SNMP work outside the
IETF.

Perhaps all we need is to get the open-source tool maintainers plus
other interested parties to agree on something and then the open-source
community could at least benefit from a better SNMP.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany