Is this an oversight in RFC 2579?

[ The attached message has been forwarded from the entity   ]
[ MIB list, as it is a question of general interest.  --cmh ]
--- Begin Message ---
On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 01:24:57PM -0700, C. M. Heard wrote:

> Bert> Or..., the DESCRIPTION clause could say that all zeroes for
> Bert> the DateAndTime would mean
> Bert> "manufacture date unknown or nor supported"
> Bert>
> Bert> Just thinking aloud here.
>
> It seems to me that this would conflict with the DateAndTime
> DESCRIPTION clause in RFC 2579.

While true, it is existing practice in other MIB modules to use
'0000000000000000'H as a NULL value and I personally consider not
allowing this special value an oversight in the SMIv2 revision.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

--- End Message ---