Re: Some additional obscure questions... Forward Refs

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Michael Kirkham wrote:

> There are plenty of ways -- both contrived and not -- to come up with
> examples of perfectly legal modules that simply cannot be dealt with

Here's another, definitely not contrived:

Column2Type TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
  SYNTAX OCTET STRING (SIZE(0..255))

AbcEntry ::= SEQUENCE
{
  abcColumn1   Integer32,
  abcColumn2   Column2Type
}

abcTable OBJECT-TYPE
  SYNTAX SEQUENCE OF AbcEntry
  ::= { experimental 999999 }

abcEntry OBJECT-TYPE
  SYNTAX AbcEntry
  ::= { abcTable 1 }

abcColumn1 OBJECT-TYPE
  SYNTAX Integer32
  ::= { abcEntry 1 }

abcColumn2 OBJECT-TYPE
  SYNTAX Column2Type
  ::= { abcEntry 2 }

How would one arrange this (or any other) table so-as not to have any
forward references of any kind?  I don't see that it's possible.  Or is
the objection only with respect to forward references in OID values, and
not in type referencess?  What if one of this table's indices was from
another table and had a greater OID value, with both tables defined under
the same branch?

--
Michael Kirkham
www.muonics.com