Re: Some additional obscure questions...

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, David T. Perkins wrote:

Right.  Dave's got the correct interpretation of what I'm talking about.
Thanks for providing more detailed examples.

>   AnotherModule DEFINITIONS ::=
>   BEGIN
>      IMPORTS
>         a FROM M1 { 0 0 99999 1 }
>         a FROM M2 { 0 0 99999 2 }
>         ;
>       anotherModule MODULE-IDENTITY
>         ::= {0 0 99999 2}  -- MK note: should be 3

Taking this "in MIB modules" example, the original question posed was on
the allowed forms for the OIDs specified in the above two lines from the
IMPORTS section.  That is, whether the above IMPORTS could (legally) be
specified as:

   AnotherModule DEFINITIONS ::=
   BEGIN
      IMPORTS
         parentOfA FROM NON-AMBIGUOUS-MIB
         a FROM M1 { parentOfA 1 }
         a FROM M2 { parentOfA 2 }

...assuming...

   NON-AMBIGUOUS-MIB DEFINITIONS ::=
   BEGIN
     parentOfA OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { 0 0 99999 }
   END

...or if only the "absolute" form (NameAndNumber or Number forms for every
component of those two OIDs) are allowed.

My ASN.1-based assumption is that the 'parentOfA' form is quite legal, and
I believe that question as been sufficiently answered (that yes it is
legal), unless Randy's implication was that neither the form provided in
Dave's example nor the 'parentOfA' form above are legal.

>           INCLUDES { g } -- note: no qualification with module ID
>           INCLUDES { g } -- note: no qualification with module ID
>           MANDATORY-GROUPS { g } -- note: no qualification with module ID
>           MANDATORY-GROUPS { g } -- note: no qualification with module ID

This is interesting.  I was under the impression that
'value(OBJECT IDENTIFIER)' meant that any form allowed by ASN.1's
ObjectIdentifierValue or any DefinedValue that resolves to such a value
was permitted (albeit pointless to qualify with a module ID here
since the module ID is already specified in the MODULE/SUPPORTS clauses
and the referenced group/etc. MUST be defined in that module).

--
Michael Kirkham
www.muonics.com