CCAMP draft-venkatachalam-interarea-mpls-te-01.txt

NAME OF I-D:

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-venkatachalam-interarea-mpls-te-01.txt

SUMMARY:

This draft proposes an architecture for inter-area LSP setup based on criteria
(combination of constraints). In this draft we derive the architectural
requirements for the routing protocols, signaling protocols and the MIBs
to support such an idea. We also demonstrate how such a mechanism will reduce
the crankback during LSP setup.

The outline of the modifications to the CSPF algorithm and examples are
presented. In the companion document
draft-dharanikota-interarea-mpls-te-ext-01.t we elaborate on the extensions
required for such architecture.

RELATED DOCUMENTS

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dharanikota-interarea-mpls-te-ext-01.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-venkatachalam-ospf-traffic-01.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-ccamp-multi-area-te-reqmts-00.txt

WHERE DOES IT FIT IN THE PICTURE OF THE SUB-IP WORK

CCAMP WG - Control C

WHY IS IT TARGETED AT THIS WG.

The setup of Label Switched Paths (LSPs) is a basic component of any MPLS
signalling mechanism. There are no standards that facilitate the setup of
LSPs across IGP areas. This draft addresses this vaccum and presents a
method to setup LSPs across IGP area boundaries within a domain. Included in
this method are extensions to the existing signalling protocols (control
function), extensions to the routing protocols (measurement function) and
an overal architecture that describes the inter-area LSP method
(use of control/measurement extensions).

In addition to other WG tasks, the following WG tasks specifically allows
this work in the WG:

- Define the relationship between layer 3 routing protocols and the
  common signalling protocol for establishing and maintaining paths.

- Define how the properties of network resources gathered by the measurement
  protocol can be distributed in existing routing protocols, such as OSPF
  and IS-IS.

- Develop and define a set of protocol-independent metrics and parameters
  for describing links and paths that can be carried in protocols.

JUSTIFICATION

Most work in the CCAMP and indeed many sub-ip groups focuses only
on the intra-area LSP setup issues. In this work we propose an
architecture to extend the traffic engineering capability across IGP areas
and recommend relevant modifications to the routing protocols, signaling
protocols and MIBs.

The mechanism proposed in this draft extends the capabilities of the
control plane of the sub-IP technology of MPLS. It recommends extensions
to the routing protocols to help in the measurement of TE parameters for
the same purpose. In addition, the popular CSPF paradigm used in current
intra-area control and measurement protocols is extended to allow inter-area
CSPF computation and LSP setup. All of these concepts are integral to
the CCAMP features of sub-IP areas such as MPLS, IPO and other emerging
technology areas which use both L3 routing and control (signaling) functions
to establish switched paths across IGP areas, be they LSPs, lightpaths or
GMPLS paths.