Re: [idn] Re: Fwd: Unicode letter ballot

"Adam M. Costello" <idn.amc+0@nicemice.net.RemoveThisWord> writes:

> An approach that would really avoid this pitfall would be to deprecate
> these characters not only in Unicode, but also in CNS 11643 and any
> other character sets that contain them, and create new characters
> in all these character sets, and leave all the mappings of the old
> deprecated characters unchanged in both the Unicode database and the
> WhateverToUnicode tables.

That, of course, defeats the purpose of compatibility characters in
the first place. It is my understanding that CNS 11643 contains
characters that are really duplicates of each other, in different
planes (of CNS 11643). The duplicates originate from creating the
standard from different sources, and not applying a unification
procedure. When integrating them to Unicode, the unification procedure
found out that they are duplicates, and added the compatibility
characters for round-tripping.

[Somebody please correct me if this report on the history is incorrect]

Now, if changing CNS 11643 was an option, you could have just
deprecated the duplicate characters in that standard.

Regards,
Martin