[idn] Re: IDNA problem statement

"JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@jefsey.com> writes:

>>>A reference to nameprep would work:
>>>
>>>"... to include the Unicode repertoire with restrictions described in
>>>[NAMEPREP]."
>>
>> Although this is true, it feels like it is too early in the IDNA
>> document to say this. Having the problem statement contain no
>> references makes it much easier to read. "with some restrictions"
>> tells the reader enough to know what Simon wanted, which is that it
>> isn't the entire repertoire.
>
> My Frenglish? "some restriction" sounds unprecise to me.
> What about "limited restrictions" which implies the author did his
> best to limit the size/number of restrictions (thefored well
> defined?)jfc

Perhaps the text can be improved, not by clarifying how large the
restriction is, but rather with the reason why there is a restriction.

"... to include the Unicode repertoire restricted in a way that is
intended to reduce ambiguities when strings are compared."

I'm not entirely happy with the result...

Btw, I don't like the phrases (in nameprep and stringprep) that says
IDN related standards provided the "highest chance of getting content
correct" when entering strings (what does that MEAN?  Getting content
correct?  Maybe the RFC editor should implement the algorithm).  It
seems clear that it only reduces some limited and character-by-
character specific concerns. The text is confusing after reading the
following paragraph in your introduction, which I think describes the
situation more accurately:

,----
| An example of an important issue that is not considered in
| detail in IDNA is how to provide a high probability that a user who
| is entering a domain name based on visual information (such as from a
| business card or billboard) or aural information (such as from a
| telephone or radio) would correctly enter the IDN.
| This a complex issue relating to languages, input methods on
| computers, and so on.  Furthermore, the kind of matching and
| searching necessary for a high probability of success would not fit
| the role of the DNS and its exact matching function.
`----

I don't dislike it strong enough to provide better text though...