Re: [idn] Document Status?

Soobok Lee <lsb@postel.co.kr> wrote:

> But wrt IDN, i guess most (or all) zone admins will show serious
> concerns about ununified latin 'i' and cyrillic 'i'.  And that is why
> some folks are working on 'IDN registration tool', as a post portem
> remedy, which cannot help dynamicly-updated-zones whose admins are
> trusting the ASCII and inadvertently the ASCII-tunneled IDN as well.
>
> I think this impact on DNS-protocols is caused by IDNA, not by zone
> admins who may not even get noticed of the introduction of IDN space
> in ASCII.

It is caused by IDNA, but it's not an impact on DNS protocols, it is an
impact on filters that restrict the names admitted into zones.  These
filters will have to be revised if they want to filter out some IDNs.
These filters are not part of the DNS protocol; the DNS standard makes
no mention of them.

AMC