Re: [idn] Figuring out what can be displayed

Adam,

With all due respect, this does not pass the laugh test.  Yes,
there are grounds for ignoring a "SHOULD".  That is why we call
it "SHOULD" and not "MUST".  But we don't describe things that
violate SHOULDs with phrases like "fully conforming", regardless
of the cause (please see RFC 1122 and 1123, full Internet
Standards, which 2119 does not supercede/obsolete).  I chose my
language carefully.

I decided caution and politeness was appropriate in my previous
note.  But, to drive the point home here, please identify at
least two operating systems in common use today in which an
application can accurately determine that it can display a
particular, arbitrarily-chosen, Unicode character.  (Determining
that it can't is easy -- any operating system that doesn't
support passing of Unicode characters to a print/display routine
would essentially permit applications to make that determination
at compile-time.)

     john

--On Tuesday, 10 September, 2002 21:01 +0000 "Adam M. Costello"