Re: [idn] Document Status?

"JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@jefsey.com> wrote:

> Sorry, but there are already two levels:
>
> 1. with prefix
> 2. without prefix

So what?  You're concerns were:

> Who will manage it?  How?

Currently there is nothing to manage.  The IDNA spec defines how to
handle all text labels, both the ones with the prefix and the ones
without the prefix.

> Will it be recursive when new functions will be added?

Currently there is only one function, so we don't need to know the
answer to this question yet.

> And most important point "which one has the lead"?

Currently there is only one function, so we don't need to know the
answer to this question yet.

If and when a second function is contemplated, the questions you pose
will be considered and answered.

> > Labels are often inspected and manipulated individually, so it's
> > best if IDNA does not introduce any interdependencies between the
> > labels in a name.
>
> The DNS is recursive.  You only consider a label in relation with the
> label above.

It would be nice if that were true, but it's not.  Sometimes people use
non-fully-qualified domain names.  For example, it's common for someone
logged into foo.cs.berkeley.edu to send mail to user@cs, or to visit
http://www/.

AMC