Re: [idn] Document Status?

On 01:30 10/09/02, Adam M. Costello said:
Notice that the current DNS standards do not define any mechanisms for
checking labels for admissibility, and yet registries can (and do)
perform their own checks if they want.  I don't see why this model
should change with the introduction of IDNA.
My point was that you introduced filters into nameprep to inforce you own options.
So the proper logical place - since there is no other analysis - is to put every filter there.
But you are totally right, NICs can enter the algorithm they want.
And this filtering of the requests (not of the extsing names) occurs only at registration time.
jfc