Re: [idn] Document Status?

Since John buried this very important point a few
paragraphs into his message, I'd like to bring it
forward and reinforce it a bit.

> But if the registry starts doing protocol-variations, and
> "telling everyone up front", it means that every caching server
> has to know _all_ of the per-zone rules.  And, remember, nothing
> makes a TLD or SLD sacred -- if we can have different
> resolution/matching rules for KR than for COM, then we can have
> different matching rules for the one subdomain/zone in TV (if it
> exists) that is reserved for domestic registrations than we have
> for all of the foreign-sales ones.  And I can have different
> rules for the i-klingon.jck.com zone relative to the
> zh-wuu.jck.com zone, and still other rules for the jck.com
> default (and no one can constrain me to name them that way and
> thereby give hints).

I believe many of those who have proposed registration-based
restrictions have assumed that a restriction on, say, registrations in
.ie. to use only characters which are valid in Irish would somehow
apply to the characters allowed in hostnames under .example.ie.  As
John's point makes clear, this isn't true.  Ensuring that folks
outside this group understand this point may be critical to getting
reasonable deployment once IDN is in the wild.

				regards,
					Ted Hardie