Re: [idn] IDNA: is the specification proper, adequate, and complete? (was: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-idna-08.txt)

At 03:54 PM 6/21/2002 -0400, John C Klensin wrote:
--On Friday, 21 June, 2002 15:03 +0200 Erik Nordmark
<Erik.Nordmark@sun.com> wrote:

> I think there is a 3rd alternative which is to, unless
> explicitly overridden elsewhere in the future, apply it
> everywhere. This can be perfectly well-defined as far as I can
> tell and it means that any changes can be done with the
> well-defined basis as a foundation.

Actually, I suggest we have never been able to do that and that
it is exactly the source of my concern.  We try very hard to
avoid getting into situations in which we standardize something,
let it get deployed, and then say "sorry, we are changing that,
you must do something else in this particular case".

At the end of the movie "War of the Roses", Danny DeVito (playing an attorney) says that he is going to offer his potential client some free advice, and "when a $1000 per hour attorney offers free advice, you should listen."

When John and I agree about an action, the rest of you folks should listen.

To use a whimsical legal phrase, folks are talking about unringing a bell.

The working group needs to focus more narrowly: we have exactly ONE DNS PROBLEM that must have immediate solution:

Permitting an internationalized form of domain name for business
cards -- that is, for URLs and email. These are usually called
hostnames.

All other IDN requirements can wait.

So far, the IDN working group has produced nothing that is used. If the working group issues a first, narrow specification, we can make immediate progress and offer the community something it desperately needs. We can also learn more about how this all works and then apply it to the next, ummmmmmm,,, domain.

I agree that they are loosely defined.  And that more precise
definition is better.  But it seems to me that precisely
defining something to cover things that are not invented yet is
not the way to go unless it is necessary and we have a clear
picture.  I.e., I am trying hard to avoid having to predict the
future or to constrain it.
correct on all counts.

d/

Dave Crocker <mailto:dave@tribalwise.com>
TribalWise, Inc. <http://www.tribalwise.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253; fax +1.408.850.1850