Re: [idn] IDNA: a micro layer above DNS or DNS internationalization ? (was: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-idna-08.txt)

At 08:39 AM 6/11/2002 -0400, John C Klensin wrote:
        Is IDNA closely bound to internationalization of the DNS
        or, as you note above, is it really "about a micro layer
        above DNS and below applications" and hence "has nothing
        to do with putting anything into RRs"?

I have long read the charter of this WG more broadly than Dave
has, but I see nothing that authorizes the WG to develop general
internationalization tools or new micro layers.
Larger internationalization, no. Micro layer is just an approach to solving a requirement.

  So, if we take
the "nothing to do with the DNS" reading of what IDNA is about,
That phrase is not careful enough. IDNA is not about the DNS protocol. Certainly the introduction of Unicode is very much about the expansion of the DNS namespace.

d/

Dave Crocker <mailto:dave@tribalwise.com>
TribalWise, Inc. <http://www.tribalwise.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253; fax +1.408.850.1850