Re: [idn] One profile for domain names, or many?

"Eric A. Hall" <ehall@ehsco.com> wrote:

> So if any domain names come through the legacy API then all of the
> labels in that domain name are treated as STD13.

Right.  Which is why it might be convenient for applications if the new
resolver API takes an extra bit per label as input.  Suppose I want to
look up a STD-13 8-bit label under an internationalized domain.  If I
can only flag the whole domain as STD-13, then I need to perform ToASCII
for the other labels.  If I can flag individual labels, then I can pass
in a name containing one STD-13 8-bit label and several non-ASCII text
labels, and the resolver will know what to do.

On the other hand, if you want to discourage the use of STD-13 8-bit
labels, then requiring the use of the old API for the entire name will
help with the discouraging.  :)

AMC