Re: [idn] Preserve case for IDNs during transportation

Edmon Chung <edmon@neteka.com> wrote:

> 1. Application ToACE multilingual domain name
> 2. Send ACE domain to server without doing Nameprep
> 3. If fail go to 5.  If successful go to 4.
> 4. Authenticate and match response by first Namepreping both and comparing.
>
> 5. Send again with Namepreping, if successful go to 4, if fail then NX
> domain

Close, but not quite.  I assume you intend to have the client detect
whether the server performed nameprep on the query, and accept the
response if so, otherwise re-issue the query in nameprepped form.  To
accomplish that, in step 4 you must not nameprep the response, instead
you must compare the response against the nameprepped form of the query.

But I can't imagine why anyone would care whether case is preserved on
the way from the client to the server.  I think it's in names coming the
other direction that people might want to preserve case.

AMC