Re: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-idna-08.txt

on 6/11/2002 8:57 AM Erik Nordmark said the following:
>>Resolvers, middle-boxes and replication masters all need to be able to
>>convert between EDNS and ACE as part of the fallback process.

> tell me again how this concersion would work with DNSSEC.

As a placeholder, I have an RCODE for "conversion failed" which tells the
original application that the data was found but that it cannot be
converted. The application then has to reissue the query which the cache
can answer with whatever data it has received as part of the fallback
process. If the original query was provided in UTF-8 and the UTF-8 data is
provided with DNNSEC there is no need for this of course.

I am hoping that the DNSSEC people can help make this more efficient, but
this addresses the prima concern.

ACE+DNSSEC NODE:

 App/Resolver      Cache             ACE-Zone

 getWide(<IDN>)-->
                   getWide(<IDN>)-->

                                   <--NOTIMPL

                   get(<ACE-IDN>)-->

                                   <--<ACE+DNSSEC>

                <--FALLBACKFAIL
                   (cache ACE+DNSSEC)

 get(<ACE-IDN>)-->

                <--<ACE+DNSSEC>

UTF-8+DNSSEC NODE, ACE PARENT:

 App/Resolver      Cache             ACE-Parent         UTF8-Zone

 getWide(<IDN>)-->
                   getWide(<IDN>)-->

                                  <--NOTIMPL

                   get(<ACE-IDN>)-->