Re: [idn] conversion collisions

"Adam M. Costello" wrote:

> "Eric A. Hall" <ehall@ehsco.com> wrote:
>
> > The default behavior as specified in IDNA is to perform conversion,
> > even though these standardized protocols [whois and finger] do not
> > require conversion, since they implicitly allow any charset.
>
> Just because they allow any charset does not mean ToASCII is not
> necessary.

I didn't say it was unnecessary. In fact, I said it would be appropriate.
What I also said is that the behavior needed to be defined in a
standards-track update to those protocols so that implementors know what
to do and where to do it.

> > if an IDNA mailer passes a converted i18n HTTPS URL to a web browser,
> > then the comparison operation will fail.
>
> How?  If the URI spec does not explicitly allow IDNs in the host field,
> then whoever creates the URI is required by IDNA to convert the host to
> ASCII before putting it in the URI.

There's more than one way to pass data between apps. Structured exchange
over well-defined APIs is only one of them.