Re: [idn] Re: Legacy charset conversion in draft-ietf-idn-idna-08.txt

I agree with Roozbeh; in the particular case cited, there is not a
problem.

There is a very significant problem with transcoding, because
different vendors mean different things by a tag like "SJIS". The IANA
registry, unfortunately, does not specify the mapping corresponding to
this tag in sufficient detail for precise conversions. See, for
example, http://www.w3.org/TR/japanese-xml/ for an extended
discussion. However, precise tags have been proposed to IANA to
resolve these problems (in Appendix D of this document) by providing
precise mappings, at least for Japanese.

http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/charset/index.html lists some of the
variation among different character mapping tables for other code
sets.

However, all this being said and done, the variations are usually a
very small percent of the total, and usually restricted to a few
punctuation or symbols. And to the best of my knowledge, people do not
vary in how they interpret the ISO 8859 series. Thus while the
document wants to point to the problem, it would be misleading to give
people the impression that a large number of characters will cause
security problems, when it is really restricted to a very small number
of cases.

What would be productive and useful would be to identify and list
those characters that could have problems in practice.

Mark

http://www.macchiato.com

 “Eppur si muove”