Re: [idn] FTP history

Dave,

isn't there a distinction to be made between the client and the server here?
The results of the user interaction were exchanges over a TCP connection distinct
from the control connection - that was so even before TCP/IP (with NCP).
The fact that we used TELNET to drive the FTP control doesn't make the design
any less a protocol. TELNET was a convenient way of implementing the text-based
exchanges - but they had formats that included error numbers as well as text
in the expectation that some implementations of the the client would be machine
driven, I thought.

The server side plainly had to deal with protocol exchanges between the ftp
data transfer servers on source and sink machines, in addition to the control server
exchanges carried over the TELNET protocol.

I'm not sure whether this thread/debate is necessarily useful, is it??

vint