Re: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-idna-08.txt

Erik Nordmark wrote:

> The conservative approach assumes that there are authoritaive bodies
> for all applications and their user-interfaces, which in many (most?)
> cases do not exist.

Clarification. I do not make any such assumption, and am fully aware that
many Internet services do not have any authoritative bodies. But let's be
realistic, if nobody is going to step up to modernize the service, then it
doesn't really need fixing does it? How hard is it to write an update to
finger and get it passed?

On the contrary, I am clinging to the robustness principle. Be
conservative in what you SEND. We're in heavy and deep violation of that
principle when we say it's okay to transliterate any data that looks like
a domain name.