Re: [idn] rename ToUnicode?

Dan Oscarsson <Dan.Oscarsson@trab.se> wrote:

> IETF should refer to official standards organisations if possible.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think ISO-10646 does not define
normalization forms or case folding.  Therefore IDNA cannot avoid
referencing Unicode.  Once we reference Unicode, there's no point in
referencing ISO-10646, because it doesn't contain anything of interest
that isn't already in Unicode.

Wouldn't it be ironic for the IETF to dismiss another standard-producing
organization as not being official enough?  Hasn't that same charge
historically been made against the IETF itself?

For practical reasons, isn't it preferable to reference a spec that's
easily available?  The Unicode standard is on the web for anyone to view
at no charge.  Is the same true of ISO-10646?

AMC