Re: [idn] rename ToUnicode?

I think ToNonAscii is much better than ToUnicode.

Since the current ToUnicode protocol can contain other codes
such as GB, JIS and many others for localized display puposes
and trademark matches.  We know that trademarks started as
regional issues (Refer to WIPO RFCs).  So besides the issue
of internationalized tradenames, such as TC/SC, Latin/Greek,
Latin/Armenia and Upper/Lower character set insensive issue
right now in debate, GB code tradename matches to BIG5 is
an issue even we ignore the TC/SC issue of the 20% of the world
population problem in this WG.

The protocol ToGB, ToBig5, ToJIS, ToKSC, ToISO8859 will be
co-exist with ToUnicode.  Thus, ToNonAscii is much better in
describing what we have in stringprep, where ToUnicode is
the forwarding one the existing servers are convergent to.

The process could be

(screen/keyboard/sound) Input buffer in  whatever

1. apply ToGB/ToBIG5/ToUnicode ...
       for trademark check

2. apply ToACE (or  ToUTF-8, ToUTF-16 for whatever )
       output  unchanged or  ACEd

3. apply gethostid/gethostname
      for tradename match

When received from transmission:

ToNonAscii
    if NLDH refuse it (may it be UTF-8, GB, BIG5, JIS, Unicode, ...);
    if ACEd, decode it with
         ToUnicode, ToGB, ToJIS, ToUTF-8 ...
         (for another tradmark match check here before display them?)
    else unchanged DNS tradenames.

Thus ToUnicode should be reserved for higher level trademark
matching in the future.

Liana

On Mon, 6 May 2002 21:55:03 +0000 "Adam M. Costello"
<idn.amc+0@nicemice.net.RemoveThisWord> writes:
> Patrik Fältström <paf@cisco.com> wrote:
>
> > If one is "ToASCII", then the other is either "FromASCII" or
> > "ToSomethingElse" (I think...).
>
> ToNonACE would work.
>
> Both operations take any label as input, so it's the output that
> distinguishes them, so FromWhatever doesn't make sense.
>
> The one thing you can say about the output of ToASCII is that it's
> always ASCII, so the name ToASCII makes perfect sense.
>
> The one thing you can say about the output of ToUnicode is that it's
> never an ACE (but it could be ASCII or non-ASCII), so the name UnACE
> or
> ToNonACE would seem to be the most appropriate.
>
> This is not a big deal.  If people still prefer ToUnicode, that's
> fine,
> I just thought we might be able to find a name that gives the reader
> better intuition about what it does.
>
> AMC

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.