Re: [idn] nameprep vs. stringprep

--On 2002-04-30 12.20 -0500 "Eric A. Hall" <ehall@ehsco.com> wrote:

> Kerberos realms are normally uppercased, so
> an i18n equivalent of those may have needed a separate stringprep profile
> as well.

The change is to make sure that a profile choose whether it should produce
case sensitive or not case sensitive matchings. Not how the case folding is
happening. I.e. I (as area director this time) can say that IESG have been
nervous if it was possible for different profiles to create different case
folding algorithms. It is enough for a profile to say whether case folding
was to happen or not.

Regarding Kerberos, it is interesting you bring it up.

Kerberos realms are case sensitive, but mostly only uppercase letters are
used. When trying to locate the kerberos server for a realm, the name of
the realm was used together with SRV records (or some other similar
algorithms).

This means that the current specification of kerberos says we can have two
realms which are "foo" and "FOO", but the algorithm used to find the server
in DNS can not handle it.

This is on its way to be resolved thanks to the creation of a profile of
stringprep, and one question we got in IESG from the kerberos people was
why they have to create the table to use when talking about case folding.

   paf