Re: [idn] Do you want ASCII forever?

For what it's worth, I hate the name Punycode too (for several reasons).
I haven't said much about it, though, because I didn't want debate or
criticism of the name to be mistaken for debate or criticism of the ACE
approach itself or Adam's algorithm.  Besides, it's very likely that
only developers (not the general public) will ever be exposed to the
name.

Adam M. Costello <idn.amc+0@nicemice.net.RemoveThisWord> wrote:

> Edmon Chung <edmon@neteka.com> wrote:
>
>> I know I missed out on the discussion of the name punycode, but I
>> think it really undermines all the effort put into creating it and
>> arrogant to call it "puny" after two years of discussion by a lot of
>> engineers around the world.
>
> There were roughly equal numbers in favor and against the name
Punycode.
> As primary designer of the algorithm, I took it upon myself to break
the
> tie.  :)
>
> I don't see how it could appear arrogant for a work to call itself
> "puny".  If anything, it might appear just the opposite (humble),
> although I don't intend for it to appear either arrogant or humble,
just
> a bit whimsical.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California