Re: [idn] Re: 7 bits forever!

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Stracke" <jstracke@incentivesystems.com>
> >Again you have fallen into the common underestimation of the upgrade work
> >required for ACE to work perfectly (including display).  What I see is
> that
> >applications are already having some trouble going from ASCII and local
> >encoding to UTF.  ACE in essence requires the conversion from local
> encoding
> >toUTF first and then toACE.  I see trouble here...
>
> Yeah, but I suspect it's smaller than you think; once you've got UTF-8 in
> place, adding the UTF-8/ACE conversion would be a lot simpler.  In any
> case, I don't think we can do without ACE, at least as a transition, which
> means that a later transition from ACE to UTF-8 wouldn't reduce the
> complexity much (you'd still need to talk to ACE-based servers).

There are no ACE-based servers.  the current servers can already handle ACE!
that is the good thing about ACE!  I believe it makes sense to go with ACE
as a transition, but I dont think there needs to be an ACE server.  Servers
should be upgraded to UTF8 directly.  They will continue to accept ACE even
without requiring to do anything special because ACE is simply an English
domain name.
Edmon