Re: [idn] Re: 7 bits forever!

Hi John,

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Stracke" <jstracke@incentivesystems.com>

> >> Same question: if you have a non-backwards-compatible server, how do
> you
> >> get people to use it?
> >
> >Non-backwards-compatible server? A server that wont handle ASCII and only
> >handles UTF8... : >
>
> No, a nameserver that won't handle the original form of DNS.  The original
> DNS packet format obviously can't cope with 8-bit labels, so a server that
> sent native UTF-8 in its replies (or a resolver that sent native UTF-8 in
> its queries) would break compatibility.

First of all, it is not "obvious" that the current "packet format" cannot
handle 8 bits because last time I checked, they operate in octets.
Secondly, the proposed nameserver will definitely handle the original form
of DNS... I dont understand what you are trying to say...  I would not
expect a version 1.0 of a word processor to be able to read a Version 4.0
formatted document. Would you?  But I would expect that the Ver 4.0 word
processor be able to read a Ver 1.0 doc.  This is backwards compatible as I
understand it.

But, if you say that nameservers are not capable of handling EDNS, that is
true.
So, the idea is to respond in ACE if asked in ACE; respond in 8 if asked in
8 (also include the associated ACE to be used incase destination
servers...http/mail/etc... are not upgraded).

Edmon