Re: [idn] Re: 7 bits forever!

Stef,

Either I misunderstand your message, or we have a bit of a
disconnect.

The SMTP extension "8BITMIME" was specified fairly early in the
game.  My impression is that it is fairly widely deployed and
used, possibly to the extent that most non-ASCII traffic is
moving that way; someone on this list (or the SMTP extensions
one) may have some numbers.  Where it is deployed, MIME is still
required to label ("tag") the data -- one can still not tell one
sort of 8bit character from another, and there is, I think,
still much more traffic on the network in ISO 8859-N variants,
or IS 2022-based systems, or local character sets than there is
UTF-8 encoding of Unicode -- but quoted-printable (or base64)
are not, unless the mail store or mail retrieval implementation
cannot deal with 8bit materials.

      john

--On Monday, 01 April, 2002 08:59 -0800 Einar Stefferud