Re: [idn] Fw: Moving Towards UTF8 vs ASCII(ACE) Forever

Doug Ewell wrote:

> Donald Eastlake 3rd <dee3@torque.pothole.com> wrote on the IETF list:
>
> > There is now a standard way to encode URIs containing arbitrary
> > UNICODE characters. This is described in RFC 3275 (which is
> > currently a Draft Standard), in Section 4.3.3.1, and in the
> > corresponding W3C document and has appeared in other W3C documents,
> > for exampe XML Base.

> I thought CJK users and others wanted *better* compression.

They DO want it, but they want it for protocols where there is a severe
length limitation on the encoded form. Correct me if I'm wrong but I
don't think there's such a restriction on URIs.

Presumably any extension to DNS which made Unicode
explicity allowed would also allow longer strings?

Bruce