Re: [idn] IRIs ought to use internationalized *host* names

>> Getting back to IRIs and URIs:  I propose that conversion of an IRI
>> to URI involve applying ToASCII to each host label.  This would allow
>> conversion of any IRI to a URI without changing the syntax of URIs.  In
>> contrast, the method proposed in draft-ietf-idn-uri-01 would change the
>> URI syntax.
>
>I like this idea.
>
>If this is done (i.e. IRI goes thru ToASCII for host label), then we
>basically saying for proxy and Host:, you should start from URI not IRI.

All fields should use an URI with all characters encoded using UTF-8.
No ToASCII, no %-encoding. Pure UTF-8. Web servers have to update their
software
so it can handle that instead of updating them to handle ACE and
%-encoded values.
Why make it more complex than needed?

   Dan