Re: [idn] Re: 7 bits forever!

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
> Those who think the DNS is being overly strict in enforcing ASCII in
> domain names are invited to consider the following:
>
> 1) RFC1035 says this in section 3.1:
>
>   Although labels can contain any 8 bit values in octets that make up a
>   label, it is strongly recommended that labels follow the preferred
>   syntax described elsewhere in this memo, which is compatible with
>   existing host naming conventions.

That's a recommendation about what names should be chosen for hosts,
*not* about what names should be accepted by applications in domain name
fields. If the purpose of RFC 1035 and RFC 2181 allowing 8-bit was not
that at some point the 8th bit would be *used*, then what on earth was it?

>   Name servers and resolvers must
>   compare labels in a case-insensitive manner (i.e., A=a), assuming ASCII
>   with zero parity.  Non-alphabetic codes must match exactly.
>
> RFC2181, section 11, re-iterates that the DNS is codeset-agnostic.
>
> So what do you know... the DNS spec is already using an N-bit-clean
> length-data encoding.  So obviously there's some Very Evil Restriction
> that makes it not allow non-ASCII.  And the favorite whipping boy here
> is BIND, which by default restricts it (you can put 'check-names off;'
> for a zone in the named.conf file, and you can put 'options no-check-names'
> in your resolv.conf).
>
> 2) Why does it get restricted?  Consider the parsing issues involved if you
> have a domain name that uses raw Unicode and embeds the character
> known as "Malayalam Letter UU". A hint why this is Very Bad are available
> at http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0D00.pdf

What are you talking about? There's nothing about U+0D0A that makes it
any different from any other character (hint: its UTF-8 encoding is *not*
0x0D 0x0A, if that's what you meant).

- --
David Hopwood <david.hopwood@zetnet.co.uk>

Home page & PGP public key: http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hopwood/
RSA 2048-bit; fingerprint 71 8E A6 23 0E D3 4C E5  0F 69 8C D4 FA 66 15 01
Nothing in this message is intended to be legally binding. If I revoke a
public key but refuse to specify why, it is because the private key has been
seized under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act; see www.fipr.org/rip