[idn] Re: I don't want to be facing 8-bit bugs in 2013

>Anyway, with the fix, there is no reason to prefer Unicode-based
>local character sets, which is not widely used today, than existing
>local character sets already used world wide.

Of course there is.  What do you do when someone wants to combine charsets
from different nations? For example, say a Japanese man named Ohta married
a Mexican woman whose paternal surname was Colón.  Their child's full surname, if they lived in Mexico, would be "Ohta y Colón".  If that child wants to spell their surname correctly, they can't use a
just-European or just-Japanese character set; they probably need Unicode.

|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer              |
|jstracke@incentivesystems.com   |Incentive Systems, Inc.         |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.         |
|I imagine the wages of sin *are* death, but by the time they take|
|taxes out it's just sort of a tired feeling. --Paula Poundstone  |