[idn] Re: I don't want to be facing 8-bit bugs in 2013

Harald;

> <mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:
>
> > Unicode is usable in some local context.
>
> Agreed. Note that "some" is changing to "many" as time goes on.

Irreleant, because some contexts are not compatible.

The point here is that there can be no universal context.

> > There is some unicode implementaion work in local contexts.
> >
> > However, the context information must be supplied out of band.
>
> Agreed.

Then, how can you provide the information with IDN?

> > And, the out of band information is equivalent to "charset"
> > information, regardless of whether you call it "charset" or
> > not.
>
> Do not agree.
> for most values of what we currently have registered as "charset",  it is
> not sufficient to identify the context.

That is a problem of current and past charset reviewers including you.

> Therefore, depending on "charset" to identify context is not only useless,
> but actively harmful.

Agreed. ISO 2022 escape sequence is the way to go.

> My opinion, which I stated in RFC 1766, and have found no reason to change.

It was already denied by real world examples.

						Masataka Ohta