Re: [idn] Interesting links

Dear Dough,

As several members of the list tried to explain to the group, it is
very difficult to ask a user to enter a Chinese domain names exactly
in a Unicode input environment. This is because the complexity of
getting the exact domain name is exponential in the length of a
domain name. In other words, if there are 10 characters with variants
in a domain name, then there are at least 1,024 different Unicode
strings corresponding to the same name. It is frustrated for users to
deal with such a high complexity.

Nevertheless,  if ITEF  does approve an IDN technology which does
not solve the variant problem, we believe that there are domain name
holders who pays the registries. This is because they want to keep
their own name and, furthermore, IETF is a respectful organization.
It is going to take a while before they realize that technology is
not ready.

As for the current system, we have been using it for so many years.
It would be excellent if we could live with domain names in our own
language. But, it makes no harm even if we have to wait for some
time before a reasonable solution is provided.

-- Janming Ho

DougEwell2@cs.com ¼g¤J¡G