[idn] Re: Unicode and Security

At 15:53 -0500 2002-02-07, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
>For text files, probably not. But for the domain name system the
>world very well might. Indeed, maybe it should unless this problem
>can be dealt with. I suspect it can be dealt with by prohibiting
>script mixing in domain names (e.g. each component of the name must
>be entirely Greek or entirely Cyrillic or entirely Latin etc. Note:
>something_Cyrillic.something_greek.com is OK.)  Does anybody really
>need mixed Latin and Greek domain names?

Certainly. Some years ago the European Court upheld the right of a
Belgian man whose father was Belgian and mother was Greek to spell
his hyphenated last name in both scripts. Why should he not be
allowed to register a domain based on his own name?

I don't think this has anything to do with Unicode. In Unicode, we
wish to make all the world's writing system available to everyone.
Thieves and cheats will use it if they wish, but this detracts not
one whit from the nobility of our enterprise.
--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com