Re: [idn] Re: Unicode and Security

Hi.

This is _really_ old news, old enough that some companies have
mail gateways set up to trap and reject outgoing mail that uses
spoofed variations on the company's name.  And, as has been
pointed out on the IDN WG's list, versions of the problem occur
even in ASCII.  I.e., whether you can tell MICROSOFT from
MICR0S0FT depends on your choice of fonts.

There is, incidentally, a much nastier attack capability
resulting from the tendencies of some mail clients to
automatically add names and addresses to address books and then
suppress the addresses entirely from the user display.

There are some interesting issues here.  The solution to them,
along with the rest of the large catalog of ways to spoof email,
is signed and encrypted mail.  Please don't waste the time of
this Working Group with it.

    thanks,
      john

--On Thursday, 07 February, 2002 12:22 -0500 Elliotte Rusty