RE: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-nameprep-07.txt

> "Eric A. Hall" <ehall@ehsco.com> wrote:
>
> > If you are going to be moving SOME of the prohibited characters from
> > nameprep to the IDNA hostname processing, then you need to
> move ALL of
> > them at that stage.
>
> There are some code points that should be prohibited in all
> internationalized textual domain names.  The private use code points,
> noncharacter code points, surrogate codes, and left-to-right mark are
> some of the best examples of such code points.  These prohibitions do
> indeed belong in nameprep.

My understanding is that Eric was talking about the octet values? I.e.
0000..00FF only since these are the ones which already have an
interpretation (i.e. LDH only plus the hyphen rule for hostnames, but any
octet for STD 13, ...).

And I agree with Adam about the need to scrutinize the other ASCII
codepoints that are still prohibited.

YA