Re: [idn] Chinese Domain Name Consortium (CDNC) Declaration

<iab@isi.edu>,
        IETF IDN WG <idn@ops.ietf.org>
Sender: owner-idn@ops.ietf.org

[Note: header field too long; To & Cc field trim - JS]

At 11:29 AM 2/7/2002 +0800, hoho wrote:
>I understand that you are only interested in extending the range of
>domain
>names beyond ASCII and are not interested in solving either TC/SC or
the
>CJK variants problem. We are not asking you to do that either.

1.  This is not a matter of personal desires.  You do not help
discussion
by phrasing things as a matter of personal preference.

2.  This is a technical topic needing technical work.

3.  The technical work must be limited in scope or it will never finish.

4.  As I have said a number of times, the topic that you are interested
in
solving is very much an important topic.  Hence I would appreciate your
refraining from implying that I think it is not important.

However solutions are not readily available, and solving this topic is
not
required for making domain names support a broad range of characters.  I
am
assuming that you do want domain names to be useful for the entire
global
community, yes?

>In other words, what you called an IDN WG solution is a partial
>solution.

All interesting technical work is a partial solution.  That does not
make
the work useless, merely limited.

>It works for a portion of the world but not the whole.

It works for nearly all of the world, including those using Han.  The
concern you have is that it does not work as well for Han as you wish.
It
is fine that you wish the solution to be better, but that is quite
different from it not working at all.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464