Re: [idn] Re: Chinese Domain Name Consortium (CDNC)

--- Begin Message ---
The original message was received at Thu, 7 Feb 2002 11:22:14 +0800 (CST)
from dhcp067 [140.109.21.74]

<qhhu@public.bta.net.cn>
    (reason: 553 Too many recipients in the mail, should less than 30)
<whzhang@cnnnic.net.cn>
    (reason: 550 Host unknown)

<lee@whale.cnnic.net.cn>... Deferred: Connection timed out with whale.cnnic.net.cn.
... while talking to public.bta.net.cn.:
>>> DATA
<<< 553 Too many recipients in the mail, should less than 30
554 5.0.0 <qhhu@public.bta.net.cn>... Service unavailable
<sharil@cmc.gov.my>... Deferred: Connection timed out with mail-gw.cmc.gov.my.
550 5.1.2 <whzhang@cnnnic.net.cn>... Host unknown (Name server: cnnnic.net.cn: host not found)
Reporting-MTA: dns; mail.iis.sinica.edu.tw
Arrival-Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 11:22:14 +0800 (CST)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; qhhu@public.bta.net.cn
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; public.bta.net.cn
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 553 Too many recipients in the mail, should less than 30
Last-Attempt-Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 11:30:46 +0800 (CST)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; whzhang@cnnnic.net.cn
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; cnnnic.net.cn
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 Host unknown
Last-Attempt-Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 11:35:05 +0800 (CST)
--- Begin Message ---

Dear Dave,

Two comments:

1. The TC/SC problem or variant problem comes from Unicode and the
decision
   to adopt Unicode as the basis to develop IDN technology. If the
working
   group chooses to use Unicode as basis, then it becomes a partial
solution
   to the "global" IDN problem because of this side-effect.
2. We do not want to delay your process either. Please refer to the
draft
   "Phased Implementation of Internationalized Domain Names in
Applications"
   for more details.

-- Janming

Dave Crocker ¼g¤J¡G

> At 03:35 AM 2/6/2002 -0800, Elisabeth Porteneuve wrote:
> >Why this proposal cannot be taken into account by IETF IDN WG?
>
> Elisabeth,
>
> This entire topic, and all its proposals, have very much been taken into
> account by the IDN working group.  They have been taken into account at the
> cost of many months of delay, although this topic is actually outside the
> scope of the working group.
>
> The topic calls for an algorithm that equates portions of different
> scripts.  This goes beyond the model of equating upper/lower case WITHIN a
> script.
>
> In fact, this topic is an open research question with no generally accepted
> practise.  So even if the topic were within scope the solution would, at
> best, be very, very risky.
>
> The risk is exacerbated by the fact that this technical approach does not
> scale well.  As soon as an approach like the TC/SC proposal is added, then
> we must find mappings for many, many other multi-script equivalences.  That
> effort will probably take years.
>
> d/

> Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
> Brandenburg InternetWorking  <http://www.brandenburg.com>
> tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464
--- End Message ---
--- End Message ---