[idn] Please do not pass an IDN document which you know will cause

conflicts and chaos
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 01:59:02 +0800
Sender: owner-idn@ops.ietf.org

[Note: there is a series of emails with the exact same content originated
from iis.sinica.edu.tw. I will continue to bounce it to the list until
someone ask me to stop - JS]

I=A1=A6ve recently come to know that IETF is about to release drafts on =
IDN standards, and to my regret, I found that the document does not =
solve problems for Chinese domain names.  And this defect in your drafts =
will result conflicts and chaos for Internet users of Han characters, =
namely Chinese, Korean and Japanese, and the effect is international =
because users of these languages are all over the world.

It is important to know that while a certain character can have =
different appearance in Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese =
Character forms even though they are actually same words with the same =
meaning; at the same time, a certain character which might look exactly =
the same, but in fact are two different words with different meaning =
when applied to different languages such as Chinese and Japanese.  I =
believe that IETF bears great responsible in setting standards which =
will bring order to the Internet world, and any document which might =
cause disorder, should be carefully reconsidered before release.  =
Therefore, Before IETF can resolve this problem and identify one =
mechanism which can differentiate these delicate language difference, =
IETF should not pass the document which would apply Unicode for IDN =
resolution, because this irresponsible decision is going to cause =
conflicts and chaos in DN registration policy and DRP worldwide.

Chien-Ming Tseng
curtain_tseng@hotmail.com
National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan, ROC