Re: [idn] IDNA in real life

Mats wrote:

>> As IDNA promotes the use of ACE, many vendors with little understanding
>> for the need of non-ASCII characters will just use ACE, I can expect
>> a long wait before applications handle native host names instead of ACE
>> unless you can force it on them by for example changing the resolver
>> library.
>
>I don't think that your assumption will come true. Next version of Windows
>NT (whatever it is called) will have a nameserver with support of the
>local character set.

Windows 2000 does allow host names with non-ASCII characters.
And it's DNS server uses UTF-8 based domain names following
RFC 1035.

So you are right in that Microsoft already support native host names
including native support in DNS (and that is following RFC 1035).
But not we get ACE names instead of native support and I expect
many other vendors will take a long time to move native as they
now can use ACE.

   Dan