Re: [idn] stringprep comment 1

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Hoffman / IMC" <phoffman@imc.org>
To: <idn@ops.ietf.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2002 12:06 PM
Subject: Re: [idn] stringprep comment 1

> At 10:06 AM +0900 2/2/02, Soobok Lee wrote:
> >There are many applications that don't give back immediate negative
> >answers to end users , regarded as implicitly positive answer.
> >The end users may believe their transactions
> >were successful and leave their PC and go vacation! :-)
>
> So, how is this different than today's DNS?
>
> You keep bringing up vague comparisons with no concrete examples. It
> sounds like you really believe what you are saying, but the rest of
> us cannot figure out if what you are saying has any merit to it
> unless you get much more specific.

You may have missed my specific examples listed in my previous postings.
Still, i think the categorization of applications IDN behaviours into 2 types is
from oversimplification.

Many applications defer its validation of native IDN labels against
authoritative stored strings  toward later time, and make later failures
silently and that gives no immediate feedback to users.

Think about uppercased new-script IDN email addresses submitted for job applications forms.
What if job applications server is using old nameprep and defer its ACE encoding until
the employer will try to reply them with acceptance notices after finishing reviews,
while the applicants are using new nameprep and confident in the success of their uppercased native
labels, waiting for never-coming acceptance emails from the employer.

Soobok Lee