Re: [idn] Fw: Cyrillics - Latin

Folks,

>a reasonable assumption.  In the DNS, especially in a generic
>TLD, where a name or name-reference (e.g., a URI) may exist with
>no context at all, it is often is not.  For the DNS, we have the
>additional problem that, in many societies, we now have years of
>experience with Latin-character DNS names/ URLs in web and email

         nova.com

Is that

         a) a latin-related reference to an astronomical activity

         b) an american reference to a car

         c) a spanish reference to something that is stationary (or does
not work properly)

         d) something else

(I particularly like that the actual site contains a pointer to other uses
of the name: <http://www.nova.com/other-nova/index.html>.)

In other words, we already have opportunities for confusion in domain
names.  We deal with them adequately.

Domain names are character strings, they are not language.  All of this
debate pertains to very important issues about language usage.  It is
outside the scope of the working group.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464