Re: [idn] Fw: Cyrillics - Latin

--On Monday, 04 February, 2002 08:01 -0800 Mark Davis
<mark@macchiato.com> wrote:

> I agree with John that there is no solution in DNS. I would go
> further in that I don't think a solution is possible in DNS.

"Not possible in DNS" is what I meant to say, so I think we
agree.

> On the other hand, I think it would be quite useful--as I
> suggested some time ago--to add some text that strongly
> recommended that browsers and similar programs that display
> URLs indicate with some sort of visual mechanism where they
> contains mixed scripts, e.g. highlight those characters not in
> the script of the majority of the characters (with a different
> color or background).

I believe that it would be a significant service to the
community --I would suggest that it is nearly necessary-- to
write strong "security considerations" sections for these
documents, or separate documents, that explicitly identify the
character and range of as many of these problems as are
well-understood.  I think that incorporating suggestions like
Mark's into such explanations would be very helpful.

     john