Re: [idn] IDN WG Last Call: draft-ietf-idn-idna-06.txt

Adam M. Costello writes:
> IDNA doesn't depend on any changes
> to existing DNS servers and mail transport agents.

False. See http://cr.yp.to/proto/idn.html for a detailed list of the
changes required to make your proposals work. The list includes changes
to DNS servers, SMTP servers, and many other programs.

I realize that you claim that IDNs are already ``working'' on every
Internet computer today. That's because you have an idiotic definition
of what it means for an IDN to ``work.'' You say that calling a string
an IDN makes it an IDN, even if users read and write it as ASCII.

In contrast, every user I've talked to thinks that non-ASCII displays
are the whole point of IDN, and considers ASCII mangling of a so-called
IDN to be a failure, just as a Quoted-Printable display is a failure.

---Dan