[idn] Re:

Dear Bill,

On the off chance that the email to the IETF's IDN list, with your address
in the From field, was not an attempt by you or someone else to proffer
some form of humor, a few comments are in order:

When making making claims of technical innovation, especially to a
technical body, it helps to use the communications technology
properly.  Your note was nearly incoherent because of serious encoding
problems with your posting.  Further the web citations your provided were
quite unusable.  As well, <http://l2.espacenet.com/> appears to be
inaccessible.

Nonetheless:

At 10:43 PM 1/16/2002 -0800, Heinze, Bill wrote:
>notify you of the publication of World Intellectual Property =
>Organization International Publication No.

A WIPO publication?  How nice.

When did WIPO start issuing patents?

>This patent application generally relates to a system, method, and

Application?  As in, no force of law yet?  How interesting.

>We believe that many of the technologies being discussed in this =
>mailing
>list infringe one or more of the 213 claims starting at page 87 of the

1.  It is a bit unusual to refer to a "technology" as infringing.  Perhaps
you meant that you believe that some product USING the technology would be
infringing?  A pity your meaning is unclear.

2.  Patent applications usually begin with an impressively inflated number
of claims.  For those patents that actually issue, the number of claims
that survive is typically vastly smaller.  That makes it difficult even to
guess which portions of your impressive list of claims one should worry about.

>Please note that failure to promptly obtain the appropriate =
>authorization may subject you and your organization to liability for
>royalties in the

You are threatening legal actions against folks in this standards
organizations for doing standards work without paying you a license fee?

Either you are jesting or, alas, once again at least being impressively
unclear.

>William F. Heinze, Esq.

Esquire?  Cute touch, though doesn't it create a challenge for what to use
upon making partner?

At any rate, please do feel free to distract our discussion list further,
but perhaps with postings that are more readable in format and clear in
content.

And in that unfortunate off chance that you were not the originator of the
note sent under your name, to the person who did:  tsk. tsk.  Why would you
want to alienate this standards organization to Mr. Heinze, by posting such
a bothersome note, so badly formulated?

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464