Re: [idn] Determining equivalence in Unicode DNS names

Hi Stuart,

I think the current argument is "buyer beware" and pepsi will have to make
sure they get all the variances.  You are right that individual
authoritative servers will have to make their own equivalence rules if they
want to.  But your example is even not as extreme as when I mentioned
earlier that <capitalALPHA>.com will look exactly like A.com but currently
they are different domains.  So a zone operator will have to implement some
equivlance rules themselves.

Further to your suggestion, I think the use of DNAME is quite interesting.
In fact it could be used in the future for migration towards a UCS system
perhaps based on EDNS.  The server will have

pépsi.com.                 IN      DNAME   xx--aceofpépsi.com.
xx--aceofpépsi.com.  IN      NS      dnsauth1.sys.gtei.net.
dnsauth1.sys.gtei.net.  IN      A       4.2.49.2

Is this not also a possible way to move toward a UCS system?  with this,
future clients dont need to deploy ACE at all, but will obtain the
information from the server.
Edmon